Friday, July 29, 2005

Encountering other Americans in Scotland

It still stops me in my tracks when I unexpectedly hear an American accent. I don't hear it very often in the area where I live even though I know there are quite a few who live here....stayed behind after the US Navy base left about 13 years ago.

I still feel the urge to say something to them but I've done it once or twice with an unfriendly reaction. This is a common reaction as I've heard from many other expats here. Now many of us just don't say anything because the reaction is usually a short reply with the vibes that say 'why would I want to talk to you just because you're American as well?' When I go to touristy areas and in peak season it's very common to hear them and you can always tell which are tourists and which ones live here.

From what I've discovered there are approximately 200,000 Americans living in the UK....many are here temporarily as students or working for a year or two. Haven't a clue how many of us are permanent.

Surprisingly I've had two people (one Scottish, one English) make the assumption that if I were to divorce my Scottish husband (not a chance!!) or become widowed that I would move back to the US. Why? This is my home now. I ai'nt leaving!

No comments: