Friday, August 26, 2005

Some nice memories....

Before we married and I was still in the US - in Tennessee - I worked a regular full-time job at the university, but had also been working on Saturdays as a parking lot attendant. This assignment was for a hospital and I would simply sit in the booth and take people's money when they left. As I was on my own all day I would bring a tape player/radio, books to read, my Gaelic tapes/books to make the time pass. The booth also had a telephone.

My (then) fiance had the cheap international phone deal and so would phone me while I worked. Since this job didn't take any concentration other than counting out change I could easily prop the phone on my shoulder, do my job and talk to him at the same time.

Being newly engaged to a charming Scottish man whose accent I was not yet used to and still in the beginning stages of romance, my face glowed constantly and my eyes sparkled. I wasn't a kid new to romance or infatuation - I was middle-aged. The looks on many people's faces as they were leaving the parking lot and giving me their money/tickets reflected the look I knew I had on my face. The ones middle-aged and older seemed to love it best. They could see I was talking to someone I was in love with and that it was still new.

No comments: